Translate

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Monarch Butterflies and Milkweed 2015

For about a year now, I have been working on adding some milkweed to the garden where I volunteer, at the Mount Pleasant Village Hall.  Last year I went out looking for milkweed plants, dug some up at a construction site and transplanted them in the rear naturalized area at the village hall. Here is a link to that blog.

Last November, I just about froze, snow seeding milkweed seeds on a cold windy day.  During the fall, I asked my friends to bring me a milkweed pod, should they see one in their travels.  I saved them until this one cold day.  I opened the pods and let the seed fly.  I will share what I learned this day.

Tip:  Do not put fresh lipstick or chapstick on your lips before releasing the seeds.  If you do, the fuzzy part of the seed will stick to your lips!  Very uncomfortable!

This spring and summer there are small clusters of the plants growing, and now they are blooming.  Butterflies and other pollinators love the nectar from the flowers.
Here is the native milkweed as seen today, July 22, 2015. It's about 4 feet tall.
Last night as a group of us were weeding in this area a female monarch continually returned to this area.  So today I took a bag lunch and chair over there in hopes of getting a photo of her.  She showed up the minute I sat in my lawn chair and opened my lunch. My photo was nothing but a blur. I've learned it is difficult to snap a photo of a bee or butterfly.

Now I'm hunting for the eggs that I hope she has laid on the underside of the large fuzzy leaves.

4 comments:

Vimax said...

nice post, thanks for sharing

KaHolly said...

Very interesting. I'll have to learn more about snow seeding. I recently posted about planting milkweed, too. I have three mature swamp plants and I'm hoping to collect the seeds and reseed, and reseed, and reseed. I'm up in Cape Breton. Great post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I'm Абрам Александр a businessman who was able to revive his dying lumbering business through the help of a God sent lender known as Benjamin Lee the Loan Consultant of Le_Meridian Funding Service. Am resident at Yekaterinburg Екатеринбург. Well are you trying to start a business, settle your debt, expand your existing one, need money to purchase supplies. Have you been having problem trying to secure a Good Credit Facility, I want you to know that Le_Meridian Funding Service. Is the right place for you to resolve all your financial problem because am a living testimony and i can't just keep this to myself when others are looking for a way to be financially lifted.. I want you all to contact this God sent lender using the details as stated in other to be a partaker of this great opportunity Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com /  lfdsloans@outlook.com  OR WhatsApp/Text +1-989-394-3740.

Health is Wealth said...


Apna Showroom Fishnet Stockings for Women Sexy Black Net Pattern Stockings Big Mesh Free Sizewith desent Look
Apna Showroom Baby Sweaters Frock Skirt Dress (18-24 Months Red) Skirt Frockwith desent Look
Apna Showroom Baby's Cotton Panties/Bloomers/Underwear (Multicolour, 3-4 Years)-12 Pieces
Apna Showroom Baby's Cotton Panties/Bloomers/Underwear (Multicolour, 1-2 Years)-12 Pieces
Apna Showroom Baby's Cotton Panties/Bloomers/Underwear (Multicolour, 2-3 Years)-12 Pieces
Apna Showroom Baby Woolen Sweaters Frock Skirt Dress (18-24 Months Orange) Skirt Frockwith desent Look
Novasox Ankle High Fishnet Mesh Women Socks, Women Fishnet Mesh Ankle Socks
APNA SHOWROOM Baby Girl's Frock Knee Length Dress