Sunday, December 5, 2010
A Troubling Quilt--part 2
Meanwhile, the entire quilt is troubling me. I kept asking myself why am I making this quilt? During this time, I kept moving things around until I achieved some kind of interesting composition, up until now, the quilt wasn't working on an artistic level.
So you can see now, there are ginkgo leaves on the tree. This softens the moonlight and the severe righthand edge to some extent.
As I thought about the scene of the accident, which I was able to walk past about 3 weeks following the terrible event, there were flowers still laying on the edge of the lake. Then I thought, of course, I need to put my flowers at the scene. I set to work cutting out little black eyed susans because they bloom in profusion in the area. Then I cut the long stemmed pink cone flowers and laid them on the ground below the remaining tree and hammock. Finally I felt that the quilt might be coming together. So I began embroidering and appliqueing the elements.
Thursday in a bold move, I basted the thing together and started quilting. Before I could do anything else, I needed to cut away the reflection in the lake, the white blob of tulle was so visually distracting to me. So I began quilting the center section and spent the evening trimming away the white tulle. Maybe........it is getting there. Somehow I feel I must modify the shape of the reflection, it seems too small.
I will spend the afternoon working on what I have, and see what I can do to make the piece visually more interesting. There will be more. Please add your comments, I find them helpful.