|My three choices for thread in the red areas of the quilt Fresh Salsa.|
You may think that selecting thread for a quilting project is a small thing, but it's more important than you think. It pays off when you make the right selection. So now I've got this top that is a cacophony of red, green and yellow, what thread should I choose?
One of my issues with sending your top out to someone else to quilt is that you usually get one color of thread for the quilting. This would make my quilts so boring! Mattress pads are quilted with white thread, how exciting is that? I choose to use multiple threads, usually depending on the color of the fabric where it will be used. No mattress pads for me.
Learn to machine quilt so you can finish your quilt in the manner you choose! You can do it!
|Auditioning the thread. This is shown using white paper just for illustration. It should actually be done on the fabric of your choice.|
- Pull out all the colors you think might work.
- Audition them by unreeling about 36 inches of thread and letting it puddle on the project.
- Give each thread a rating: yes, no, maybe.
- Give a second look to the yes and maybe threads, I throw the ones I like best into a basket or bowl, so they are accessible when the quilting begins.
- If unsure whether to use thread A or B, sew up a little sample of both; hold each sample up to the quilt top, and this should help you make your decision.
- There is nothing worse than having to rip out lots of machine quilting, after you figure out, you should have used another thread! I have lots of personal experience in this area.
Contrasting or Matching thread? Here are some tips I have learned over the years.
- Matching thread will be less visible, and will hide irregularities in the quilting.
- Contrasting thread will really accent the quilting, look great from a distance, but will show everything little booboo.
- A slightly richer color will subtly enhance the quilting without being too distracting.
- Lighter threads on deep fabric will usually look good.
- Dark threads on light fabric are very challenging, all the mistakes will show.
- The choices are up to you.
|Rainbow variegated threads, # 851, 814, 844 from Superior Threads|
The quilting will begin next.