Translate

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spring Gift Debut

At long last, I am posting my 2011 competition quilt. It's title is Spring Gift. When I finished this quilt last year, I felt that it was one of the best I've ever made! It was inspired by the need for a new quilt to hang above the long awaited new furniture in my living room. My vision was to make it simple in subject and strong in visual impact on a field of blue.
Spring Gift, original design by Ann Fahl
I sent if off to Paducah several weeks ago, in hopes it could perhaps garner one more prize before I retire. There's much excitement with the flooding down there, and also the excitement that my book was making its debut. For a few days I forgot about my quilt. Then the AQS prize winners were announced online, so I went to check, Spring Gift wasn't there, and I was disappointed.

All my quilts are made because I find joy in designing and creating them.  Yet it is always a big kick to win a prize. Somehow getting the reinforcement of the judges and that prize check really gives me a thrill and inspires me to make another. I am not crying and I know it is good to just have my quilt hanging in this very famous large show. Somehow, I feel I have lost the prize-winning touch.  Can I find it? Maybe it is time to shift my focus. I just don't know!

detail of Spring Gift
Many famous prize winning quilters stop entering competitions. But I've been having fun, doing this for over 30 years, I'm not ready to quit------yet. So please enjoy my beautiful trillium.  If you'd like to read more about the quilt, you will find it on my website

Have a great Easter.

Ann


6 comments:

Rachel said...

Elegant. Background is so effective with the gradation of dark to light. Wonderful stamen fabric--catches my eye immediately.

Maggie Szafranski said...

It is a lovely quilt and will look great in your living room! You must do what makes your happy, if the judges concur, then that is just icing on the cake.

Keep Stitchin' said...

It's beautiful! I understand being disappointed, but you have to realize you inspire so many quilters and do such amazing work! You've broken ground in areas of machine quilting, and that is something to be very proud of; and you have books with your name on them!

Robbie said...

It's a beautiful piece!! And thanks for sharing with those of us who don't travel!

annieQ said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. You are right I have so much. I live with one of the most famous cats in the land of quilting. And.....I even own my own ISBN number. How many quilters can say that?

SewCalGal said...

Stunning quilt Ann. I'm so happy you entered it in Paducah too. Please don't stop entering your beautiful quilts in shows. They are what really help make shows so fun to go to.

Spring Gift is a wonderful quilt. Love it.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com