Translate

Friday, September 23, 2011

The Really Big Show

Here's the UPS truck, loaded with my treasured quilts, heading down the street on the way to La Conner!
 After spending most of 3 days packing quilts, I am now done.  There are 8 boxes packed, sealed and labeled for UPS.  There are more than 30 quilts rolled up in these boxes. This exhibit has taken more of my time, than any other I've done.

The next part is they have to travel from here in Wisconsin to north of Seattle to La Conner Quilt and Textile Museum. This is a long trip for the quilts, so this shipping bill will be a big one.

There were so many decisions to make. If you have an exhibit, large or small in your future, here are some things that I did as part of the plan that might help you.
  • I sent out a pile of show proposals to quilt museums around the country. 5 years ago!
  • Decide on a title: The Quilted Garden (this was a year ago.)
  • Choose the works to be included-2 months before
  • Arrange the quilts on the floor plan of the La Conner
  • Draw up an inventory list with sizes, prices and descriptions for signs and send to La Conner
  • Send out publicity to as many web sites and print media as possible, 3-6 mo. ahead
  • A special quilt was made to anchor the exhibit Coneflower Fiesta
  • Now it is all packed up in U Line telescoping boxes and ready for the UPS man to pick them up. I usually take them to UPS myself, but my car isn't big enough to hold all the cartons. I now have more respect for the after the show crews that pack up all the quilts and return them to their owners! This was lots of work.
  • I sent an inventory of the quilts; their sizes and values to my insurance agent.  We had to discuss my coverage and made some adjustments to my "inland marine" policy.  If you enter shows and competitions, you need one of these policies. Homeowners insurance won't cover quilts that travel. I am grateful to my State Farm agent for spending so much time with me on the phone, and working out something that I could afford.
  • Also I shipped a separate box of books, patterns and booklets for the giftshop at the La Conner to sell, so if you find your way to the show, you can see my new Oreo book.
Coneflower Fiesta, the featured quilt of my upcoming exhibit.
I hope many of you in the northwest will be able to see the show. A huge amount of effort has been put towards the show.  The show opens Oct 5 and closes Dec 31, 2011. The hours of the show are: Wed-Sun: 11am-5pm; Mon & Tues By appointment only. The La Conner Quilt and Textile Museum, 703 S. Second St., La Conner, WA 98257, 360-466-4288.  Open to the public, admission fee for non members. For more information go to the museum's website.

Please tell all your friends and local guilds about my show. I'd like it to be the best one they have ever had!

Oh yes, UPS did a great job, and the quilts safely arrived in under 5 days. No more worries there.

Ann Fahl

2 comments:

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

That was very interesting. I know your show will be a grand success. I have let my sister know who lives in Kalama Wa. She is going to try to get there with some friends.

Rachel said...

Whew! Mission accomplished. Best wishes on a spectacular show.