Translate

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Trying Something New

New tools to add to my toolbox!
Quilting has been an important part of my life since I since I walked into my first quilting class in 1978. Shortly thereafter, I started my own business, and I've been thinking, breathing, eating and dreaming QUILTING! I have made quilts numbering in the hundreds. Maybe I'm slowing down, or getting old, but I want to try something new.

Designing and making quilts will always be an important part of my life, but I no longer want to do this 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  I want time to do other things; to clear away the lint and take time to smell the roses and coneflowers!

Tonight I went to an orientation meeting for people that would like to become Master Gardener Volunteers. This is a program that is run by the University of WI extension service.  Other states have similar programs. They are looking for people that want to learn about all the facets of gardening and spend time creating new gardens in public spaces and helping others learn about growing things.  I want to learn more about growing plants and good garden design.

This could be the perfect new thing for me to try. It could be a life enriching experience, expand a community garden or two, and a perfect companion to my quilting life! Who knows what might develop? I'll have to wait and see what transpires.

Ann Fahl

3 comments:

BarbR said...

What a exciting addition to your life. I love the smell of the earth and the herbs that I grow. It will be fun to see how it shades your quilting life. =!=

Carol A. Babineau said...

I wish you all the luck and fun you can have. Gardening is wonderful! I enjoy driving by small road vignettes that are around my home town here in New England. (done by the garden club)
Please take photos when you can and post updates too.

AsianArtAndQuilts said...

Gardening and quilters often go hand in hand, maybe the love of beauty? Ann, have a blast! We may be seeing even more garden quilts in your future quilts.