Translate

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Trillium and Ginkgo Leaves

It seems to take forever to finish a quilt these days. This new one is called Trillium Landscape. It is small just 26 x 26 inches. I had to put it aside for awhile as I worked on some other things, so it has been in the works for months.

This is the third quilt that I have used the idea of setting my subject into another shape--a ginkgo leaf! This will make its debut at the LaConner Quilt and Textile Museum in LaConner, WA in October.
A closeup of Trillium Landscape

The trillium and leaves are heavily machine embroidered. I chose to use a curved and spiral combination of patterns as a contrast to the petal shape.
I love this little bud that rests on the right side of the ginkgo leaf.  You can also see the embroidery in the ginkgo leaf behind it.  My choice is always to use variegated thread. I try to have every variegated rayon or polyester thread in my studio.  I love the way it shines, this enhances the stitching. If you choose the correct needles for the free-motion work, you will have success with your embroidery.  Try using the new titanium topstitch needles.
This is a closeup of my signature on the front of the quilt. It needs to be there, but I try to choose a color or placement for it, so it doesn't draw the eye away from the subject.
Sometimes I like to repeat shapes from the subject in the quilting. You can see I've added a quilted leaf in the middle of the two embroidered leaves. Quilting should add surface interest to the quilt, but not be a distraction. For me it has to be fun, so I enjoy the process of quilting.

Ann

2 comments:

Mary Couch said...

I love visiting blogs, and now yours has really captured me. I am very new to applique/art quilts. Your free motion skills are stunning. I shall check back often, keep practicing, and definitely buy one of your books. You really are fabulous!
Thanks for the inspiration.

annieQ said...

Welcome, and thanks for visiting. It's always nice to hear what others think about my work......Ann